Why use a subdomain? Say you have a client who has an existing website registered at GoDaddy. They want you to do a campaign for them, but they will not allow you to embed any Instant Customer forms on their existing site. You could use a subdomain to run a campaign through Instant Customer.
For example: Your clients existing website is www.caninewatertherapy.info. You would use a subdomain other than "www", such as "info", "special" or "webinar", so that if you go to http://webinar.caninewatertherapy.info in your browser it points to your Instant Customer campaign.
1. Go to campaign you are working with and determine if using Instant Builder 1.0 or 2.0.
- Click on Edit
- Now select Opt-in Channels
- Now go to Web Pages tab
- Here you will see if you are using Instant Builder 1.0 or 2.0
2. The CNAME used in GoDaddy depends on if you are using Instant Builder 1.0 or Instant Builder 2.0.
- Instant Builder 1.0 - GoDaddy CNAME is instantcustomer.com
- Instant Builder 2.0 - GoDaddy CNAME is ic.instantcustomer.com
3. Now login to your GoDaddy account and find Domains.
- Select the Launch button
- Now click on the domain you want to work with. (this example: www.caninewatertherapy.info)
- From your Domain Details screen, click on the DNS Zone File tab.
- On the DNS Zone File screen click on the Edit button.
- On the Zone File Editor screen, scroll down until you see CName (Alias) section.
- Now either Quick Add a CName Alias or edit an Existing one.
- Type in your subdomain "webinar", "special", "info" - anything except "www"
Instant Builder 1.0 use instantcustomer.com
Instant Builder 2.0 use ic.instantcustomer.com
- Now click the Save Zone File button in upper right hand corner.
- Click OK when prompted.
- These changes usually take 1 hour. However, it may take up to 48 hours for these changes to take effect. These time frames are estimates and not guaranteed.
- Close the Zone File Editor screen and return to the Domain Details screen.
4. Now you need to Forward your subdomain. If the domain is already forwarded you can skip this step, there is no need to forward the subdomain. If the domain is not already forwarded then you need to forward the subdomain.
- From the Domain Details screen, select the Settings tab.
- Now scroll down until you see the Forwarding section.
- Click on Manage
- Click on Add Forwarding button
- Click on the Subdomain tab
- Click Add Subdomain Forwarding button.
- Now type in the name of your subdomain webinar.caninewatertherapy.info
- Now select Save.
5. Now go back into Instant Customer.
- From Campaign Details select the Domain Name tab.
- Select the option Have your own domain.
- Now enter in the domain from GoDaddy (this example: webinar.caninewatertherapy.info)
- Select the Check Availability button to see if any other Instant Customer accounts are using this domain.
- Now select Save and Exit.
6. Allow some time for the GoDaddy changes. These changes usually take 1 hour. However, it may take up to 48 hours for these changes to take effect. These time frames are estimates and not guaranteed.
7. Go to your Campaign Dashboard and scroll down until you see My Instant Builder Pages:
- If GoDaddy changes have not yet been made you see the text 'instantcustomer' in the URL and will need to allow more time.
- If GoDaddy changes have been made you see the subdomain name in the URL.
- You can click on these page URL to test.